Saturday, November 5, 2011

Salads Lovin'

I used to be known as “Rice Queen” and “McD Princess”. I can’t live past a day without rice, and I can die (back then) if I don’t have french fries to savour upon! But now, I am actually developing affinity towards greens.

Salads are great options to substitute the usual refined carbs such as rice and pasta certain days of the week now during dinner with salads.The only thing I couldn’t comprehend is why salads cost much more expensive than other meals that take longer time and effort to prepare?

I do not have time to prepare it at home everyday after work because by the time I reach home, it would be time to go to bed. So, my only temporary measure is to eat out or get takeaways which led me to a couple of amazing salads discoveries which I am going to share here!:D

My favourite of the whole lot- Sashimi Salad with Goma (Sesame) dressing I really can’t describe this salad in words!Just you have to know that it is definitely my-have-to-eat list every week. And I had been recommending people to eat this. Before they picked up the first bite, I have to warn them, “Once you tried sashimi salad, you will never go back”. And true enough, they got addicted to it as well!It feels like a drug to me. Squeeze the lemon juice and pour the goma dressing all over onto the bowl that was laden with greens and sashimis, and there you go. Just DIG IN!!!

Price & Place: RM12.80++ at Sushi Zanmai *Similar version can be found at Sushi Tei (RM16.80), Sushi Zen (RM12.80)*

Balinese Grill Squid Salad. Scrumptious! The vegetables were fresh and crispy and the lightly marinated squid was perfectly grilled. How do I eat this? Pour the sour tangy dressing all over, slowly savour the crispy crackers while chatting with dinner mates, then move on to the greens, then to the squids and what’s even more interesting, there are wedges of oranges in it. Visually pleasing, tastefully enchanting just like the island of Bali.

Price & Place: RM17.90++ at Waterlily Bistro @ Tropicana

Mighty Ranch Chicken Salad, is the mighty one. Grilled chicken with mixed leaves, garnished with parmesan and creamy ranch dressing. May be arteries clogging, albeit the healthy looking one in the menu so this one is only once in a blue moon. This is a more sinful version of salad compared to the rest in my list but you know it is not as bad as getting McD and KFC. :P 

Price & Place: RM11.90++ at Wondermilk @ Damansara Uptown

Avocado Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette. The paste is mildly hot, and fragrant and “popping” ebiko roe on the avocado is served to refresh. Simple dish but what was actually commendable would be the vinaigrette. It just satiates my palate.

Price & Place: RM11.00++ at Ploy @ Clearwater

Ben oh Ben! Ben’s House Salad. You can shovel it in and talk at the same time. The vinaigrette is slightly on the sweet note, but I find myself being able to finish the whole plate myself. A bowl of leafy goodness garnished with black and white sesame seeds, avocados slices and something I rarely see in most salads: Edamame beans!

Price & Place: RM12.90++ at Ben’s @ KLCC

Starchy goodness alert! Potato salad has versions of which vary throughout different regions and countries of the world. Although called a salad, it is generally considered a side dish. One of the better ones I like was the Japanese’s version. I like sharing this one because I couldn’t finish the whole bowl myself.

Price & Place: Rm7.90++ at Sushi Tei

What about our local version of good salad? I would nominate Mek T’s Rojak Betik, also known as Ngonyok. Shredded raw papaya, pineapple and cucumbers served with sweet tangy gravy (like Asam Laksa!) of pureed fish. The twist? It was served cold and you will find yourself not wanting to give up finishing it although you are used to having warm laksa broth most of the time.

Price & Place: RM 4.90 at Mek T @ Bandar Puchong Jaya
 

No comments:

Post a Comment